Skip to main content

Oil nears $92 on UAE missile alert as Trump claims Iran talks stuck

Brent crude climbed near $92 a barrel on Tuesday, reaching its highest level this month amid new escalatory developments.

Leon Neal/Getty Images
Customers fuel their cars at a petrol station as Brent crude oil prices hit $100 per barrel for the first time since May on July 23, 2026, in London, England. — Leon Neal/Getty Images

Brent crude climbed near $92 a barrel on Tuesday, reaching its highest price this month, amid renewed tensions in the Gulf. The gains came after the United Arab Emirates issued a missile alert and President Donald Trump again lashed out at Tehran.

Details: International benchmark Brent jumped as new wartime headlines fuel an all-too-familiar bout of market jitters. The UAE broadcast a missile alert on Tuesday evening, saying its air-defense systems had detected a threat directed toward the country. Emirati authorities later said that two missiles launched from the direction of Iran had fallen into the sea. It was the first such alert in weeks, adding to concerns that the conflict could be entering another period of escalation in the Gulf.

A day earlier, the 60-day window established under a June US-Iran memorandum of understanding expired, although the arrangement had been dead since the ceasefire collapsed last month. The agreement was intended to halt military operations, restore shipping through the Strait of Hormuz and provide time for negotiations on broader issues, including Iran’s nuclear program. 

Trump again took aim at Iran on Tuesday. “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” he wrote on Truth Social. "The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated." Hours earlier, Trump posted a picture showing a map of the strait labeled, “New US territory.” 

Trump said on Monday that informal talks were still taking place with Iran, but insisted the US is in no rush to make a deal. “They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” Trump added. “I have no time schedule. I’m not in a hurry.”

As of Tuesday, markets didn’t seem all that heartened by the various declarations coming from the Oval Office. Shipping data, meanwhile, shows that Hormuz traffic remains at a trickle, with Kpler observing only three confirmed vessels on Aug. 16.

Top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said in comments published by state media on Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz will remain shut until the US meets the conditions of an interim deal signed with Iran in June. Separately, a senior Iranian official told Reuters that Tehran was shifting toward a “fully offensive” posture amid the diplomatic stalemate.

Yet Iran also said on Monday that it had reached an understanding with Oman on a route map for ships to transit Hormuz as the two countries move closer to an agreement on managing traffic through the critical energy waterway. Responding to the news that Iran and Oman had agreed to a shipping route, Trump again threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of a potential US-Iran deal.

Why it matters: Brent crude began August below $80 per barrel and remains far beneath its wartime peak above $120 in late April, but Tuesday’s rise shows that markets are once again uneasy about the conflict’s trajectory amid a parade of worrisome signals. 

On paper, there is little new in the latest cycle: Washington and Tehran have repeatedly alternated between threats and hints of negotiations. Still, this latest price movement arrives as fresh developments underline how the conflict’s dynamics are changing in August. 

For Washington, the emphasis appears to be shifting toward economic pressure and enforcement rather than the direct military escalation seen in July, even as Trump’s rhetoric remains confrontational. Meanwhile, Iran's posture suggests it’s ready to stay on the offensive as the UAE braces for new attacks, which had tapered off since July after the Gulf state had become Tehran’s top target in the early months of the war. 

On Aug. 16, The Wall Street Journal reported that Iran’s hard-line leadership used the June ceasefire agreement not simply to pursue diplomacy, but to prepare for a larger confrontation. The reported strengthening of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ role, expanded missile and drone production and preparations to widen the battlefield suggest Tehran has been planning for precisely the kind of prolonged pressure that markets are now beginning to price again.

Related Topics

You're reading a free AL-MONITOR Original

Want more like this?

AL-MONITOR All-Access gives you unlimited access to all our journalism, the full Daily Briefing, exclusive interviews, premium newsletters, and live events — for less than $2/week.