Iran's FM says US didn’t demand zero enrichment in nuclear talks
The top Iranian diplomat said the two sides have instead discussed “confidence-building measures" related to its nuclear program.
WASHINGTON — Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the United States has not demanded Iran permanently suspend its uranium enrichment as part of the ongoing nuclear negotiations.
“They have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment,” Araghchi said during an interview on MS NOW's “Morning Joe.”
At issue is whether Iran can continue to enrich some level of uranium, as was permitted under the 2015 nuclear deal, or must dismantle its program altogether. Last week, President Donald Trump said his administration won’t accept “any enrichment” from Iran. The Iranians have long insisted on their right to uranium enrichment as a signatory to a 1970 non-proliferation treaty.
The top Iranian diplomat spoke several days after the two sides met in Geneva for a second round of indirect talks aimed at reaching a deal that would stave off Trump’s threats of military action.
After the interview, MS NOW host Joe Scarborough quoted a senior administration official who reiterated that Trump’s position is “no enrichment” but indicated there could be some flexibility on the issue.
“What our negotiators told him was, the president's position is no enrichment,” Scarborough quoted the official as saying. “But the burden is on you. If you think you can come back with a counter, the burden is on you to show us what safeguards will be put in place so you will have a nuclear program for power like every other country.”
The official requested a “detailed proposal” from the Iranians “in a week, not three years.”
Iran’s uranium enrichment was effectively halted as a result of US bombings targeting its nuclear facilities last June. Prior to the strikes, Iran was enriching uranium to 60% — a short technical step away from weapons-grade levels of 90% and well beyond what’s necessary for civil nuclear energy.
Senior US officials have also said they are seeking an agreement that also addresses Iran’s ballistic missile program and support for regional militias. Iran had demanded the talks be limited to its nuclear program, which it insists is only for peaceful purposes.
“What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran's nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever,” Araghchi said. “And in return, Iran does some confidence-building measures to ensure that its program would remain peaceful."
He went on to say an agreement between Washington and Tehran based on a “win-win solution" can be reached in a "very short period of time."
Trump has warned Iran there is a short window to reach a deal before he would authorize some form of military action. On Thursday, he said he expects to make a decision within 10 to 15 days.
Asked Friday whether he was considering a limited strike to pressure Iran into a deal, as reported by the Wall Street Journal, Trump told reporters, “I guess I can say I am considering that.”
The Pentagon, meanwhile, continues to amass air and naval assets in the Middle East. A second carrier strike group, the USS Gerald R. Ford, is en route to the region from the Caribbean.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, a senior regional official familiar with the talks said the Iranians “know that the Americans are serious and wouldn’t mind using force.”
“It’s now up to them to come up with an answer that would be satisfactory,” the diplomat said. “There is enough room for both sides to be creative. As long as the intention is to reach a deal, the opportunity is there.”
This developing story has been updated since initial publication.